Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Iron King (Iron Fey # 1) by Julie Kagawa


The Iron King (Iron Fey series book 1) by Julie Kagawa
Release Date – February 1, 2010
Publisher – Harlequin Teen
Pages - 363
My Rating- 9/10

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I resisted picking this up for so long. I am not really sure why. I finally gave in and I am so glad I did.

This book hooked me right from the beginning. I was immediately drawn into the world that Julie has created. The world of the Summer and Winter fey courts were so vividly described that I could picture them completely. I am all about the Winter Court. It sounds so beautiful (although too cold) and it has Ash. The Summer Court is also beautiful in it’s own way. I love the contrast between the two.

The characters are amazing. Meghan is a fantastic heroine. She’s tough, is willing to protect the people she loves, and is no damsel in distress. She also has soft side that is romantic, and girly. I liked the balance.

Her friend Rob/Puck is great too. Funny, full of charm and loyal. I am looking forward to seeing more of him in the next books. Ash..sigh. The Winter Prince is very swoon worthy. I am hoping that Meghan find a way to melt his icy heart a little and we get some more hot kissing scenes. He is one of the main contenders for my next “Hot Boys in Books” post. I do get a slight “triangle” vibe with maybe Puck liking Meghan as well. I am curious to see if I am correct. I love Grim as well. He made me laugh quite a bit. It was nice to have his comic relief throughout the book.

The love story that is developing is nice because it’s on an instant love. It’s taking time to build and an actual connection is being developed.

I liked how technology and mythology were tied into the story. It was different and not what I was expecting when I started the book. The tying in of Midsummer Night's Dream was also a great touch. I love Shakespeare so that just made this novel even more fantastic.

This is a fantastic start to a series that I should have started A LONG time ago. I can’t wait to start Iron Daughter and luckily I have it already! Pick up this series if you haven’t already!

3 comments:

  1. This seems like an interesting concept. Thanks for reviewing it, I might pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I read it, I felt the exact same way! WHY did I wait so long???

    Go Team Ash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see that you enjoyed this!! The Iron Queen is my favorite in the series. I am SO excited for The Iron Knight! :) Great review, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...