Monday, June 6, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson


Possession by Elana Johnson
Release Date – June 7, 2011
Publisher – Simon and Schuster
Pages - 416
My Rating- 7.5/10
*Simon and Schuster GalleyGrab*

Here is the Goodreads synopsis

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


I am going to start this review talking about something that really has nothing to do with the review- the cover. It’s stunning. So pretty.

Vi is the heroine of Possession. I really enjoyed her. She was feisty, head strong and different from other female characters that have been in the books I've recently read. I did find her a little over the top at times, but mostly I loved how strong she was.

The triangle is made up of Zenn and Jag. Sadly, I didn’t really feel that we got to know Zenn that much so comparing the two of them is not really fair. I did like Jag. He was sarcastic, charming and I could see why Vi would fall for him. Zenn is a little more mysterious. We learn the most about him from Vi, and since he is brain washed by The Thinkers we are left wondering how much of what we know is the real Zenn.

The other characters in the book I had a harder time connecting to. I am not sure what caused it. The writing itself was not an issue and the story had tons of potential. I just ended up not really feeling strongly about them one way or another.

I have to admit that there were points during the novel that I was a little confused. I had a hard time picturing the world that was being built and keeping some things straight. It got better as the book went on and I got more comfortable with the world, but it could be a deal breaker for some people. The moment where I feel immersed in the world happened later than I would have liked.

I do think that there will be people who love this book, and while I thought it was well written and some of the characters are amazing I just didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED it... AFTER I got into it. LOL

    I reviewed POSSESSION today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about parts of the book being confusing! I had a hard time keeping up. I love Jag! And Vi, she was such a good character. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...