Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Author Interview - Vicki Grant

Yesterday I reviewed the fun (and cute) Betsy Wickwire's Dirty Secret. Take a second to read it if you haven't already.

Today I have the author, Vicki Grant, for an interview. I had the opportunity to ask her a few questions and it turned into a really fun interview...I especially love the insight into her daughters influencing the look of the guys in the novels.

You can learn more about Vicki and her novels at her website.



1. Describe Betsy Wickwire’s Dirty Secret in 3 words.

Funny. Sad. Hopeful.

2. What sort of research did you do for this book?

Not much frankly. I live in Halifax and set the story here so that wasn't hard. I've done my fair share of housecleaning so didn't need to research that much either. The little bit of research I should have done, I didn't. I gave Dolores a crush on the goalie of Nick's rugby team. It wasn't until my daughter - a rugby player herself - read it that I realized the game doesn't have goalies.(I clearly should spend less time talking with the other mothers on the sidelines and more time actually watching the games).

3. Betsy Wickwire experiences the heartbreak of having a significant other break up with you. What is your recipe for curing heartache?

Time. Food. Coming up with nasty names for the creep who broke your heart. More time. Someone new.

4. Your book is a fantastic beach read. What is your favourite beach read?

I'm about to start writing a YA mystery set in Halifax during the second world war. (it was the most important port in North America at the time and doubled in population with the arrival of tens of thousands of young - and handsome, older women tell me - service men) because of that, I've been reading books set in WWII. we happened to have Ken Follett's books, The Eye of the Needle and Jackdaws, at the cottage. The're both ripping wartime yarns. Perfect beach reads.

5. Who gets to read your writing first?

Usually my daughters. They'll read over my shoulder as I'm writing but also sit down wtih the early drafts of the manuscript. You can often see their influence in the description of the guys in my book. I can pretty much figure out who they have a crush on by how they want me to tweak my characters. "He should be taller with green eyes..." "His hair is darker than that..." It might be easier if they just pointed him out in the yearbook and let me take it from there.

4 comments:

  1. The cure is chocolate!!! Cute interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that bit about her daughters at the end is so cute! I can relate to the lack of research part... I should really do more for my own writing. Great interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview! I'm definitely going to have to check this book out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview! I think it's cool that her daughters read her writing first...girls know people better than almost anyone!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...