Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crossing Age Groups - Multi Talented Authors

I think we can all agree that it takes a special kind of author to write for multiple age groups. They have to understand people pretty well to write believable characters in multiple age categories, and have a knack for knowing what works for the intended audience.

There are some authors that do it, and do it so well that they make it look effortless. Here is a list of some of my favourites

1. Lauren Oliver

Her YA series Delirium is heartbreaking and wonderfully written. It makes you feel. Her middle grade novel Liesl and Po is equally well written. She's able to invoke emotions and make you feel, regardless of age group.

2. Sara Shepard

Her fun, twisty YA series Pretty Little Liars serves up delicious twists and reveals; something her adult novel Everything We Ever Wanted also does.

3. Kelley Armstrong

Her world building is amazing, and so rich. She transports the readers of both her Otherworld series, and both of her YA series into them. Combine that with cliff hangers, and plot twists and it's no wonder everyone is hooked.

4. Ann Brashares

Ann has written the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series. A touching tale of friendship and growing up. She took those characters and had them age with her readers writing an adult novel. It was just as touching, complex and moving as her teen books.

5. Suzanne Collins

Her YA series The Hunger Games is unique, heart pounding and addictive. Her middle grade series Underland is just as unique, and shows her talent in a different way.

Here are some authors whose current work has me dying to see what they would do outside of the current age group they write for. All of these authors have developed well defined characters, complex plots and intriguing storylines that not only appeal to the age category they are written for, but readers of all ages.

1. Cassandra Clare
2. Veronica Roth
3. Alice Sebold
4. Tabitha Suzuma
5. JK Rowling

These are just some of my favourites authors who have managed to cross age groups(and some of the ones who I hope eventually do). What do you think? Have I left anyone out?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I totally agree with this post!! It's always impressive when an author can successfully write for multiple age groups and produce these absolutely stunning novels. I'm really excited to read Liesel and Po and I rarely read MG these days. But it's Lauren Oliver and it sounds brilliant. Haven't read Suzanne Collins' MG ones either. But since I LOVE THG, I'm definitely willing to check them out.

    I know Richelle Mead has two adult series in addition to VA. I haven't read them though, so no idea how they compare to her YA. But she has a lot of fans... might have to check them out some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read a couple of these authors, but I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually don't really enjoy Kelley Armstrong's adult novels, but I love her teen books. I like her voice better there, and her writing.

    Jennifer Estep made a fantastic transition from adult UF to Teen with her Mythos Academy series. They're awesome. Juliet Marillier wrote the Sevenwaters books and then wrote Wildwood Dancing for teens--which I love. There are a lot of authors making the transition now. I haven't read it yet, but Lisa McMann just published her first MG, The Unwanteds. I loved Cryer's Cross, so I'm eager to try it.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an AMAZING list here! I feel like emotionally, Sarah Ockler with her debut novel Twenty Boy Summer also crosses age groups, but she's a relatively new writer. Oh, and Gabrielle Zevin. She has several books out now. I think the concepts of her novels (she has a particular focus on the brain and memory) are intriguing to adults and teens. Have you read either of them?
    Oh, and I just thought of Wendelin Van Draanen, author of Flipped. I chuckled while reading that one because it's a coming of age story about love and friendship.
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...