Monday, May 28, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowan


Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowan
Release Date –  May 29, 2012
Publisher Website –  Harlequin Teen
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  348 pages
My Rating- 3.5/5
**obtained from the publisher for an honest review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... NIGHTWATCHERS When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...
A kiss can change everything. In Samantha's case that isn't just a figure of speech. She is kissed by her long time crush and suddenly she can't focus on anything other than how hungry she is. Food doesn't ease the hunger and it isn't long before she realizes that it's human souls she is craving. Enter Bishop a sexy angel, and his team of angel and demons and you have a fast paced, quick read.

This novel felt like it had a lot happening all at once, especially in the beginning. It felt like information overload at first, with everything happening rapidly, and I found it too much too soon. Once things settled and the plot started to come together I appreciated the story more. There is a balance between too slow and too fast and this pacing is a little on the fast side. People who love action, and a fast moving plot will enjoy this aspect. People who prefer more character development may find that aspect a little lacking until later on in the story.

The mythology was, for me, what saved the story. I enjoyed the layers Michelle Rowan created, and having the angels and demons work together was a refreshing change from the usual for the angel genre.While the story may feel known, Michelle is able to make it her own and create something with her own spin.

Samantha was a likeable enough character. She's cautious, doesn't take risks or chances and is happy that way. The kiss with her long time crush changes everything, and watching her react to this was a enjoyable part of the story. I like that, even as Sam is changing, the author manged to stay true to her character. She is still Sam underneath it all. Too often the heroine looses herself after the "big event" happens and changes. Sam does change, but her core characteristics are still present.

Bishop is tall, dark, and brooding. Perfect drool worthy material for readers, and he is someone that Sam can't seem to stay away from. His fractured state only heightens his appeal and many readers will fall for him. I am curious about his backstory and hope to learn much more about him in future novels.

To counter balance Bishop we have Kraven - a snarky, good looking demon whose banter with Sam is amusing. I think there may be a triangle of sorts in the future books and I think quite a few readers may enjoy Kraven as well.
While I had my issues, it was still an overall enjoyable book. With the hint of the action packed sequel to come, layered mythology and romance Dark Kiss is a fast, enjoyable read. It will hit the spot for some beach goers who are looking for something other than the usual light romance fare of the season.

1 comment:

  1. I've been eager for this one ever since I saw that sexy cover. If there's one thing that can lure me in it's a combination of bare man chest and wings hehe.

    While a little disappointing that it wasn't amazing, I'm really happy this is an enjoyable read. I'm especially interested by Michelle's take on the angel/demon mythology and yesssshhhh, me wants to meet the drool-worthy Bishop :) Actually, perhaps Kraven more, because I love me a snarky guy.

    Fantastic review, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...