Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Poison by Bridget Zinn



Poison by Bridget Zinn
Release Date – March 12, 2013
Publisher Website - Disney Hyperion/Hachette Canada
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  288 pages
My Rating- 3/5
**Received from publisher for review**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.
A fun, delightful fairytale that is both heartwarming and sweet. An epic quest, fantastical fantasy elements, a delightful main character and the cutest pig ever serve to make this a quick, cute read.

I must admit was skeptical about the inclusion of a pig in this story. Needless to say my worries were for naught. A sweet, endearing, adorable pig that immediately wins over your heart. She provided some fun, comical moments as well, fitting in with the light tone perfectly.

Kyra is an interesting character. She’s lethal, focused, and takes pride in what she can do. She also resists giving into the darker side of her gifts, and is often conflicted by what she does. Her love of her Kingdom is admirable. She’s funny, has a quick whit, and underneath her bravado is a young girl with a good heart.

Romance enters the picture with the introduction of Fred. A laid back, sweet and all around good guy that leaves Kyra a little weak kneed (when he’s not aggravating her that is).  Their banter is infectious and left me smiling. It’s easy to root for these two to get together, as even their pets are compatible.

Arianna, the Princess that Kyra tries to kill, is seen as fun loving. She is adventure seeking, and a true friend. Kyra is simply looking out for the good of the Kingdom when she attempts to assassinate the Princess. We learn the most about her threw memories Kyra has of them before the night that changed everything.

I think younger readers will especially be entranced by the spell this novel casts. It does feel like the lower end of the YA spectrum, or higher Middle Grade. I can see some of the older crowd perhaps finding it too juvenile. I found myself wanting to share it with people in the 10-12 age group, because I felt like they would really love it.

Poison is one of those books that left me feeling happy and light after reading it. It’s one I am going to happily share with my nieces when they get a little older. A wonderful, whimsy filled adventure story that will appeal to fans of fairytales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...