Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer Reading Suggestions



It's summer! That means long days at the beach, ice cold fruity drinks, and, of course, amazing reads. I am going to offer up my suggestions on what to toss into your beach bag before the end of the gorgeous summer weather arrives.

Books That Are Already Out

These are novels I loved, and would recommend for your summer reading enjoyment. You can find all of them in bookstores now.

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. It's heart wrenching, and just surpassed all my expectations. I fell in love with the writing, and the characters within the pages. Any Peter Pan fan MUST read this one, but even the non Pan fanatic will fall in love with this one.

Tarnish by Katherine Longshore

Anne Boleyn's story is familiar to most people who've studied British history. Her story has never been told quite like this. A novel that focuses on her life, rather than her death, paints a much different picture of the doomed queen. It's romance is steamy enough to incite your own summer romance wishes, and it's deeper than your normal beach read.

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Travel, romance, a swoon worthy guy, and a story of finding yourself. This book will leave you desperate to get Just One Year, and will ignite a travel lust that will have you day dreaming of a Paris getaway. Reading it while at the beach, with a nice fruity drink in hand, is pretty much the prefect way to spend a summer afternoon.

Masque of the Red Death/Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Anyone who follows my blog knows that I LOVE this series. The final part of Araby's story is out now, and it would make a perfect beach read. Romance, danger, and beautiful prose make this one of my favourite series. The characters are flawed, and that makes them all the more human.

Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

If after all those light beachy reads, you're looking for something a little heavier to read I suggest picking up this amazingly written, and gripping novel. It's an adult book with lots of cross over appeal, so even older YA readers can give it a try. The wonderful characters will stay with you long after the last page. It'll leave you questioning how you view gender, and it's importance to who a person is.

Books Coming Out This Summer

Here are some books that aren't released yet, but before summer ends you'll see them make an appearance on many beach towels. 

Night Film by Marisha Pessl

Prepare to become obsessed with Stalias Cordova, and his beautiful daughter Ashley. The mystery surrounding Ashley's apparent suicide is second only to the mystery of the infamous director himself. Who exactly is Cordva? That questions haunts our main character, and the reader themselves. The novel is rich is character, descriptions, and left me looking forward to anything else she may write. 

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Sure to be a huge international hit, this intriguing novel has some amazing characters, and stunning world building in it. The complex political layers will pique a more adult audience, while the character of Paige will appeal to those readers who love YA novels.

What I Am Packing In My Beach Tote

I've told you what books I think you should read. Here is the list of books I will be devouring while lounging by my sister's pool in July and August.

Tampa by Alissa Nutting

This one sounds controversial, and thought provoking. It's one of those books that is going to garner strong reactions from people. The fact that it's being called a female voiced Lolita is also intriguing. Either way, I expect this one to make a big splashy entrance this summer.

Fire With Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivan

Okay, so this technically isn't out until the fall, but I was fortunate enough to snag a copy well in NYC for Book Expo, and fully intend on devouring this with some ice cream by the pool. It's a perfect fit for summer reading with the betrayals, romance, and secrets.  I loved Burn for Burn and can't wait to see what is going on with Mary!  

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano

Another novel that doesn't come out until the fall, but I am not going to be able to hold off. I really enjoyed the Chemical Gardens trilogy and can't wait to see what this new series is like.

What books will be joining you at the beach this summer? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...