Monday, September 23, 2013

All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry



All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry
Release Date - September 26, 2013
Publisher Website -  Penguin
Publisher Social Media -  Twitter
Pages -  384 pages
My Rating - 4/5
**obtained for review from publisher via BEA**

Here is the Goodreads synopsis
Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.
Part historical, part mystery All The Truth That's In Me captivated me, and kept me turning the pages late into the night. A novel that evoked feelings of rage, joy, happiness, sadness, anger, and ultimately hope all at once. It's a novel that imparts a unforgettable message, and includes a fascinating main character.

The narrative is written in form of a letter or diary that Judith is writing to Lucas. This narrative allows us to get to know Judith immensely but creates side characters who are not as well developed. This wasn't an issue for me, as I felt I knew what I needed to about them, but others may want more. I like the choice of the narrative, because Judith's voice is what truly shines in this novel. 

Judith resilience is undeniable. She copes with everything that is happening to her with a spirit that is breathtaking. It doesn't destroy her, even thought it seems it should. Her teasing sense of humour, whit, and desire is never crushed. Her voice is one that will be with me for a long time, and will make my top voices of 2013 list. She came to life for me in a way that characters don't always manage to do. I admired her desire to better herself through education, and how she wouldn't back down even if things got a little tough. Her courage, even when faced with unflinching scrutiny, is displayed time and time again. This is the long way of saying that I ended up adoring this character.

Lucas, Judith's brother and mother are all characters I felt we got to know enough about. Lucas really becomes developed later in the story. Judith's mother is deplorable. Instead of being happy her daughter has returned at all, she's worried about the impression her daughter's trauma will make on their family. Her brother is a typical spoiled child who is quite kind to Judith. My favourite relationship was an unlikely friendship that blooms between Judith and other character. I won't spoil who, but it delighted me. This friendship helps Judith find what's been ripped away from her, and reinstall some of that confidence that Judith needs to stand outside the shadows.

The mysteries of Judith - why she can't talk, where she's been for the past two years, and the circumstances surrounding why she was the only one to return - are all unraveled in such a way that is perfect for this type of story. We start with a focal point, a small part of the picture, and gradually expand what we can see until the full picture is in front of us. This means that little things are being teased and revealed throughout the novel, and that keeps the pace at a fever pitch. The short spurts of narration instead of chapters ensure that you'll keep reading as it's deceptively easy to say 'just one more section'.

A stunning voice and a unforgettable main character. This novel hit me, and made sure that I won't be forgetting Judith or her story for a long time to come. A novel about reclaiming your voice when it's been taken from you, it's not only entertaining, but packs a wonderful message to always speak out.

1 comment:

  1. Saw this book the other week and it caught my interest already. Thanks for the review will be adding this one to my shelves.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...