Wednesday, December 7, 2016

2017 Most Anticipated - The Gentleman's Guide To Vice and Virtue



My next selection for this event is a book with a seriously swoon worthy cover. It is a cover that makes other covers want to sexy wink at it. It also happens to have a European trip, boys falling for each other, pirates, and lots of debauchery (of the 18th Century variety) within its pages.


A novel that will most likely fill you with wanderlust and have you packing your bags to head off to Europe and so much more!


After reading the Goodreads synopsis it is pretty much impossible to not want to read this book.
An unforgettable tale of two friends on their Grand Tour of 18th-century Europe who stumble upon a magical artifact that leads them from Paris to Venice in a dangerous manhunt, fighting pirates, highwaymen, and their feelings for each other along the way.

Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his grand tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.

Witty, romantic, and intriguing at every turn, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue is a sumptuous romp that explores the undeniably fine lines between friendship and love.
If this hasn't made you desperate to get your hands on this novel perhaps Mackenzi's brilliant teaser video will. This video not only shows how insanely talented she is, but makes this book sound INCREDIBLE.


Mackenzi has also kindly taken the time to answer a few questions about The Gentleman's Guide To Vice And Virtue.  

Describe The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue using only emojis.

👬

🇬🇧➡️🇫🇷➡️🇪🇸➡️🇮🇹➡️(I cannot for the life of me make the Greek flag emoji work but that’s what should be here :)

🍻

🎲

♥️♣️♦️♠️



🎻

👨❤️‍👨

2 If someone were to make a signature drink in honour of your book, what might be included?

Funnily enough, I don’t really drink. But my main character, Monty, does. A lot. And in spite of being a classy rich boy, Monty’s also the sort who would drink whatever cheap, crappy booze gets him drunk fastest.

So I’d probably say the drink would be an old fashioned, with whiskey and citrus and cherry….except the ice cube would be infused with vodka, so as it melted the drink got boozier.

It gets you wasted fast but you look super classy drinking it.

3 Your book revolves around two gentleman taking the Grand Tour. Which countries would be on your own Grand Tour of Europe?

I am really lucky because I actually got to take a grand tour of Europe when I was in college, and I visited everywhere Monty, Percy, and Felicity go on their tour. The place I most wanted to see while I was abroad that I missed out on was Prague, so definitely it would be on the list, and definitely Edinburgh (which I get to visit very soon and I’m so very excited!). But also, can I just go everywhere!? Even countries I’ve already explored I feel like have so much more to see! It can get very overwhelming very fast when you think of how mind-blowingly huge and amazing the world is.

4 Name a song you listed to for inspiration while writing this novel (if you didn't listen to music let me know and I can quickly send another question)

Since Monty is sort of an eighteenth century party boy, I listened to a lot of the music I thought he’d like if he were alive today. Which meant I wrote this book to pop music I would never, ever have listened to otherwise, like Sia, Lady Gaga, Fergie, Miiike Snow, Jessie J--even Uptown Funk was on my list.

But also “Paris” by Kate Nash, “Ship to Wreck” by Florence + The Machine, “A Question” by Bombadil, “Ne Me Quitte Pas” by Regina Spektor, “Keep Yourself Warm” by Frightened Rabbit, “Outlaws” by Alesia, and “This Year” by the Mountain Goats. All of which is much more to my usual taste.

5 I am guessing a lot of research went into this novel, particularly in regards to the time period this is set in. What was the most surprising thing you discovered while researching?

I loved reading about the Grand Tours and the culture of being a tourist, and the crazy luxuries afforded to them while they were abroad. I read journals written by tourists when they were abroad, and my favorite was one guy who was carried across the snowy Alps in a sedan chair (see: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjKiv5XUxtAsS01U3M1FhldERsfiSQeqvpm8k7_UuDRW8uuacCYl3__dyIK-h_6Q1dMsZoZ2uIvnH6HxyMCJqqcNkrfhKC2ecWWwjg4EUuPmwTU4CloFmcfQQtNb2T8zZBMc008f_Mq0uyt/s1600/sedan-chair.jpg) which was actually a pretty common way of going from place to place as a tourist. But the thing that killed me has how he kept complaining about how rough the ride was and his footmen kept slipping and it was so miserable for him--and it never occurred to him to get out and walk. Oh young rich white guys. You know nothing.  

But the most surprising thing about reading these journals was, in spite of the aforementioned crazy luxury and privilege, how much I could relate to the sentiments of these tourists. In spite of having several hundred years and a fortune separating us, and both of us living lives that on the surface the other couldn’t possibly seem to relate to, I read their journals and found so much emotion I could relate to. Things like obsessive crushes and depression and anxiety and preoccupation with your future--just further proof that the world may change, but it really doesn’t change that much.

6 What 2017 release are you most anticipating?

I have to just pick one?! That seems cruel.

I am aggressively excited about THE PEARL THIEF by Elizabeth Wein. Because ZOMG MORE VERITY. I’m fine.

7. If not too spoilery, can you share the first line of The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

On the morning we are to leave for our Grand Tour of the Continent, I wake in bed beside Percy. For a disorienting moment, it’s unclear whether we’ve slept together or simply slept together.


Anyone else itching to plan a Grand Tour of their own? I haven't even read the book and I am ready to pack my bags. I can only imagine the wanderlust that will hit when I actually get to read this book.

The Gentleman's Guide To Vice And Virtue is scheduled for release on June 20, 2017! It will be required reading for anyone heading to Europe for the summer (and the perfect beach bag accessory).

It is available for pre-order from your favourite retailer right now, and I highly recommend doing so.


You can also follow Mackenzi on Twitter, visit her website, and the publisher website for all the details about The Gentleman's Guide To Vice And Virtue.

What countries would be a must visit on your own Grand Tour? Do you love travel inspired stories? Let me know in the comments.

And if you're wanting to chance to read this book early... I recommend visiting again near the end of the event for a giveaway that will include an eARC!

Be sure to stop by tomorrow to find out the next book that made this year's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thank you for stopping by my blog and thank you even more for leaving me a comment.

I have decided to make this an awards free blog. I appreciate the gesture, and love that you thought of my blog, however I simply can't pass them along as required.

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...